Thursday, April 13, 2006

A Good Bad Example

Just when you think you've shuffled all the cards in as many combinations as possible, the same cards keep getting dealt in the same order. Makes ya think there might be a law of nature involved, don't ya?

This morning I went for a walk, a luxury I don't often get, being as school starts at 0 dark thirty in the morning. I was enjoying the sunshine and quiet down at the park when I ran into a young lady of my acquaintance, the anglo wife of a military man of similar complexion, if you know what I mean. We had a lovely talk about the ideal weather we are enjoying out here in California, and I made friendly to her two tiny dogs. Now these two dogs had little girl names, not dawg names, and were dainty and well-kept, just like my young friend. She certainly makes you think the white race might be worthy of preservation!

But I digress.

She cuddled and treated those dogs just like they were children, and as our discussion progressed, she mentioned the fact that she and her husband weren't planning on having any children themselves. "These puppies are just like children to us."

I made muffled, non-committal noises in response, because they were about the only civil things I could get to come out of my mouth, and said I hoped I'd see her again one day but I had to keep walking or lose what little aerobic value my walk had. We parted with a nod and I labored up along the trail, fuming quietly.

Well, that's where I saw that law of nature demonstrated for the upteen-hundredth time, because coming down the trail from the parking lot was a squat little Mexican woman with one, two, three...keep counting...four, five, six shabbily-dressed urchins in tow. The little guys were ecstatic as they headed for the clean little playground with the sign that said "For Use of Residents Only". Funny, with housing prices the way they are around here, I couldn't see this little group as neighborhood residents. The mother looked as if she'd crossed the border yesterday, and had no English phrase to respond to my muttered "Morning."

When they settled in at the playground, which was empty till they showed up, the mother opened up the jug of water she'd hauled with her and poured some in a paper cup to give to the broad-faced boy in the yellow shirt.

As she poured out the drink for her son, I wondered which would have someone to defend them in the conflicts to come, my lovely anglo friend or this square-bodied, plain-looking, Mexican woman? As her son took the cup and drank deep of the water within, I saw the answer to my question in the adoring eyes he raised to his "madre."

7 comments:

S. C. Mooney said...

Very aptly observered and creatively put. Had your friend with the dogs observed the watering, I imagine her inner response would have been along one of two possible lines: 1) Those kids one day will do for her what my dogs never will do for me, or 2) isn't diversity grand! Sadly, perhaps cynically, I think it would have come closer to the latter.

Laurel1861 said...

Cynically, I think it's the latter.

However, hope springs eternal, and I do talk to her occasionally...we will see if I can plant the seed of an idea...

God bless,
Laurel

R.G. said...

Laurel,

I encounter DINKs (double income, no kids) every day who are busy consuming the accumulated capital of generations who came before. They make me want to barf. In one sense it is only right that their family line ends with them.

Only the meek will inherit this earth. The meek walk humbly with God, observing the least of his commands. One of these commands is to be fruitful and multiply. But that is much too hard for many of the spoiled and pampered anglo community, and not nearly gnostic enough for their weak, pie-in-the-sky, rapture-fever eschatology.

I laid down the law with my young-uns. I required at least 4 grand-kids from each of them, once they're married. No excuses. I know they're fertile; they're related to me and my beloved.

R.G.

Laurel1861 said...

Howdy, R.G.,

The DINKS do indeed consume what generations before them created. In my own generation there were many selfish people (and I am remembering some old friends here) who told me they would not be "good parents", and so did not have children. Some never married. As they enter their late 50s and early 60s, those who are still in touch with me have told me how hard it is facing illness (cancer for one, chronic fatigue syndrome for another) on their own, as their parents have passed on. Others are not ill, but lonely as all get out. Entertainment gets old.

I think perhaps DINKs suffer from a form of nearsightedness, not the physical kind of course, but a spritual and social nearsightedness. They don't see God's commands as worth keeping because a) they don't honor Him in their hearts and b) they think they will always be the way they are in their 20s, hale and healthy. How quickly the latter proves untrue! How important it is to honor God in one's heart and life.

I wish I could say I had a passel of kids of my own. I have just one. Three pregnancies, two miscarriages, and a husband who decided another woman was worth more than I was, and that God's commands were worth least of all. My gratitude in all this is that God has been faithful to me and my daughter in so many ways this last decade or so since the divorce.

I'd put pressure on my daughter to have loads of children, she knows I want grandchildren, but at age almost 21 she has no marriage prospects in sight, so I must ask myself if I am the end of my own line. It is my prayer that the good traits our family has be passed on.

In the interim I will stand in the gates and shout (blog) truth to those who will listen. Families are God's design, and He loves His children enough to die for them. How can we resist creating the opporunities (children) for him to bestow that eternal love?

Have a blessed Resurrection Sunday,
Laurel

Laurel1861 said...

A note regarding my last comment, to make sure no one is confused about my family status, or my spiritual state.

Yes, I am divorced. The elders of my church have determined that it was a biblical divorce, and given me permission to remarry. I also know that God hates divorce, and that weighs heavily on me.

A number of years ago I met the Christian gentlemen, an old bachelor, who I plan in marrying in a year or so (when you get old you are not in as much of a hurry!). In my blog he appears as Big Sam, and the death of his mother was a real event. I have used him as a metaphor for everyman in other posts, for which I have his permission.

At present time I work teaching school and care for my elderly parents, and see Big Sam for church and social outings on the weekends. He drives 30 miles each way to attend church with me and to see me, so I think maybe he's serious LOL.

If this presents a problem to anyone viewing my blog, I truly regret it. I have no intentions of going against the Word of God, and strive to be a truth-teller through the events told from my life, which are edited enough to keep my identity private and, hopefully, safe from unwanted intrusion by those who might wish white Christians ill.

God bless,
Laurel

R.G. said...

Laurel,

I appreciate your honesty, and your character. Sorry about your ex, but Big Sam sounds like a good catch and I will pray for your daughter's husband hunt and for you to be the happy grandmother of many grand-kids.

Thanks for some great observations skillfully rendered in good strong english. Your blog is one of my favorites.

R.G.

Laurel1861 said...

Thanks, R.G., your comments and prayers are much appreciated. And if you know of a fine young man in the 20 something age range, let me know (but don't tell my daughter I was asking!).

Gotta love those kids,
Laurel