Friday, July 20, 2007

Third and Fairfax

Dedicated to those of us who continue to hope, and to sweep.

******************************************

I see a man
Sweeping off the street
At Third and Fairfax.
A bone-tired man with pale blue eyes.
There's only garbage at his feet,
Yet
His broom goes
Sweep
Sweep
Sweep.

He yearns to see the street,
And
His broom keeps going
Sweep
Sweep
Sweep.

I feel so sorry for him
He doesn't know
The wind is not pure.

I feel so sorry for him
He doesn't know
The wind brings the dirt
Again.

I feel so sorry for him
He doesn't know
The wind is not pure
And the doing doesn't make
The deed secure.

But
We want to see the street.
We pick up our brooms
And
Sweep
Sweep
Sweep.

1 comments:

doctrine wars said...

I linked your poem on my latest post
keep sweeping...