Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Last White Man

I wrote this poem a couple of years ago. It enjoyed some minor exposure around the internet, but the site that housed it is no more. So I decided to post it here, where it will have more of a permanent home.


The Last White Man
By Laurel1861

The shadows loom long of an evening
Blue-tinged with twilight’s deep shade
The glory of sunset is fading
Gold fingers of light flick the glade.

Black crows to their shelter go soaring
Their noisy croaks piercing the sky
In the glade a white man is waiting
For the last crystal sunbeam to die.

He has not a brother to talk to
Or sister to stand by his side
There never were many, indeed, just a few–
Those few, save for him, now have died.

He raises his hand to the sunset,
A futile salute indeed
From one dying thing to another, regret;
To the dark, all that’s light must recede.

Deep voices sound out of the bushes
The hunters come seeking their prey.
Choking and clutching, night pushes
Beneath the horizon the day.

The shadows loom long of a dawning
Gold-tinged with the coming of day
Black crows to their feast, beaks a-yawning,
Peck the last of the pale flesh away.


©
2006 Laurel Loflund

7 comments:

GRITS (GirlRaisedInTheSouth) said...

How interesting that you posted it here now... it was going through my mind the last couple days... haunting as always........

Laurel1861 said...

Thanks for the compliment.

I needed to hear something positive today.

Much appreciated.

Laurel

Anonymous said...

That's very good.

One small criticism: crows were Thor's birds, though I reckon they could be doubly symbolic, including both darks and paganism pecking away at whites and Christianity respectively.

-- Frank (who's too sleepy to figure how to log into google tonight).

Laurel1861 said...

Hi, Frank,

The intent was to symbolize the Dark Other, as I call them.

Thor's birds (my grandfather was a Tor, in both the name and personality ways) were not on my mind. But oh, well.

I live where there are huge flocks of noisy, annoying crows. Their behavior was my inspiration.

God bless,
Laurel

ehud would said...

Y'know, I'd seen this poem on various sites but never was aware of its authorship. I should have known it was yours Laurel. Its truely great.

ehud would said...

Y'know, I'd seen this poem on various sites but never was aware of its authorship. I should have known it was yours Laurel. Its truely great.

Laurel1861 said...

Thanks, Ehud!

Coming from you that is a high compliment.

God bless,
Laurel