Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America




Charlotte Iserbyt served as Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI), U.S. Department of Education, during the first Reagan Administration, where she first blew the whistle on a major initiative which would control curriculum in America's classrooms. What's interesting to me is how I've personally seen some of the techniques she describes in the video in use by other teachers.



Her book is available as a free .pdf download here: Deliberate Dumbing Down

Definitely worth a look, and perhaps a read.

4 comments:

Wheeler MacPherson said...

Thank you for posting this. Good interview, and very interesting material. I'm looking forward to reading the book, which I just downloaded.

Anonymous said...

This book, along with John Taylor Gatto's work, was the final straw that caused me to homeschool my children.

The anger that needs to be generated by all parents, and the complete dismantling of the "Department of Education" to return ALL control to the local school district, from principals, teachers, to textbooks, and choir concerts (imagine a million lawsuits that the scumbag ACLU would have to enact, to 'stop' singing Christmas carols at EVERY school district! he hehe...)after reading these books, is LONG overdue.

Homeschooling- the ultimate act of political defiance.
-Fr. John
Orthodox Priest

Laurel Loflund said...

Fr. John, you know, I never thought of homeschooling as an act of political defiance, but I think you're right.

God bless you for choosing the right path.

Laurel

shotgunwildatheart said...

Having the state educate your kids is like having the state have sex with your wife.

(I don't have a wife or kids, but I can imagine the impact of the illustration.)