Friday, May 08, 2009

Air Force One Over the Statue of Liberty


It is a lovely thing, a Boeing 747; and a powerful one. Its crisp blue and white contours dominate the sky. The American flag on its tail and the words "United States of America" define this bird as Air Force One, symbol of the imperial Presidency.

It was a terrific photo op, or should have been had it not struck fear into the hearts of 9/11-shocked New Yorkers, long unused to the close approach of 747s.

The photograph, now made public, shows Air Force One in its ultra-clean glory filling the sky over the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor. The plane seems unnaturally large, as if it is the Presidency itself writ large, Caesar rather than Christ. Power over Liberty, quite literally, as the Statue below seems a insignificant splotch of green barely visible at the bottom of an unnatural, constricted perspective.

The photograph shows something uncomfortably close to the truth, and the events surrounding it something more. For as Liberty recedes, and the Presidency grows in power and arrogance, the people run screaming from the scene, in terror for their lives.

As well they should.

9 comments:

Winston Smith said...

THIS is EXCELLENT! Great job!

Laurel Loflund said...

Thanks, Winston, much appreciated.

Just popped into my head the instant I saw that photo...

God bless,
Laurel

Anonymous said...

Ma'am,

I hope you won't mind but I couldn't find any other way to contact you folks.

I was trying to register for kinism.net but there is no photo here "Submit the word you see below:"

I reloaded the page used a different browser but it does not appear.

I would like to be a part of the discussions.

Will that glitch be corrected any time soon or is there some way I can register via email?

Laurel Loflund said...

If you go to the Kinism.net forums, there is a link at the top of the page that says "Register." You will be able to log in there.

Anonymous said...

Ma'am,
Thank you for responding.
I did that again just now and I still do not see any photo below:
"Submit the word you see below:"

Maybe there is a glitch.
Would you be so kind as to post when it is fixed here?
Thanks and may Our Lord richly bless you.
Goodnight.

Laurel Loflund said...

Are you talking about a bug on the Kinism site, or over here? I'm confused.

Laurel

John Marshall said...

The captcha image issue at Kinism.net has been repaired. You should be able to register normally now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ma'am I thank you for your patience with my queries.

Mr Marshall I have had success and await activation.
God bless you and all our kin.

bankruptcy said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers