Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sister Against Sister


"My sister's White," Jenna said. "You wouldn't recognize her." She squinted her almond eyes in a gesture that managed to be sad, angry, and derogatory at the same time. "She doesn't look anything like me."

The speaker herself looked like a train wreck in a DNA yard; almond eyes, coffee-colored skin, straight dark hair, and thick lips. Lord knows how many members of how many different races had taken a shine to each other in order to create this uneasy amalgam of racially distinct features. But I knew she didn't like the way she looked very much, because she was quite outspoken about letting you know. Still, when the topic of her sister came up, the wound that had wrapped itself around her identity opened afresh, and a harsh flow of partially coagulated bile poured out.

"She's White," she spit out again, as if it was a curse, or something to be jealous of, or some undecipherable combination of the two. "And she has blue eyes."

I couldn't speak for a moment, my own physical identity surging up in my awareness. Pale skin, blue eyes. That's me. The force of the child's hatred had hit me like a wall. Cringing only a little bit, I gathered my wits around me to respond.

"I have white skin and blue eyes, Jenna."

No response. A clouding of the face, perhaps, but no response.

One more try, I thought.

"Only a big sister would say that with such venom, Jenna."

The cloud thickened, and she spoke. In her voice, the tone of pure betrayal, the tone of pure envy merged.

"She's White!"

5 comments:

kinswoman said...

So, so so sad, all for the sake of deluded parents who think they "love each other," who've been lied to by those that hate them.

Wheeler MacPherson said...

"A train wreck in a DNA yard."

Great line in a fine post.

The nonwhite will ALWAYS react with hatred and envy to the natural aristocracy she senses within the child of Adam. They have an innate need to attack the Christ-bearer.

Anonymous said...

I've seen that very dynamic in play many times.

Mongrels and foreign races constantly refer to us with contempt; and its so natural to them that they haven't even any sense of impropriety about it.

But if a White shows his or her distaste for the Non-White's overt contempt, the White is immediately cast as a Nazi/Klansman/Racist.

As a White, if you don't hate Whites, you're seen as the sort that deserves the most hatred.

kinswoman said...

I just treated myself to a reread of your 2005/2006 posts. Wonderful...

Laurel Loflund said...

Thanks, Anonymous. I appreciate the comments.

Oh, KW, was it really that long ago that I had time to really write? I'm glad you enjoyed them again. I pray one day soon I will have a moment or two to write once more.